Monday, January 17, 2011

Improving response on your website part 1

I received a link from a friend the other day, it was a blog entry where people were writing about blogging. Blogging about blogging, (like an MC Escher image). The consensus among the group was that blog writing should have soul and personality. I immediately felt intimidated; dispensing advertising techniques isn't enough, I have to be soulful too? Oh no! One of the entries said "be frank about what you don't know". Okay, I don't know how to be informative and soulful at the same time. Another said, "share some personal information".. okay, I'm wearing my slippers and it's after 1:PM! Alright, there's my version of the goodfoot in 50 words or so.  


The truth is, I like writing, but I don't want to presume you're all that interested in my musings. If you become a follower, I want you to know that you'll find valuable stuff here you can actually put to work to improve your business. By all means take full credit, this dispensary can be our secret.

Soulfully improving response on your website part 1

In my experience there are three key creative strategies that drive response:


Part 1. Make it easy to shop and purchase
Part 2. Ensure design is compelling and messaging is persuasive
Part 3. Communicate relevancy


Ease: Removing every conceivable barrier during the shopping experience should be the goal throughout the site. Be sure the site design is intuitive and doesn't leave the shopper wondering what to do next or where to find what they're looking for. Conduct a little usability study with your mom, see where she hesitates and when the navigation becomes unclear. It's almost impossible to be objective about your own site, so open yourself to input from unfamiliar users. Remember, websites aren’t linear like a catalogs, where you have a front to back, or back to front navigation. Websites are multi-dimensional which can make it very efficient in organizing information and offers but without proper design and navigation you'll lose your audience quickly. And remember checkout; creating a seamless and simply funnel from product page through check out will reduce abandonment significantly. 

2 comments:

  1. You really take direction well.....full of soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your writing style! And I can relate to your topic every time I try to use somebody's poorly designed website.
    ~K

    ReplyDelete